PEANUT BUTTER AND BACON DOG BISCUIT RECIPE
Adapted from http://www.dogtreatkitchen.com
- 2 pieces bacon, thick cut, cooked
and crumbled (see tip)
- 1/8 cup bacon grease
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325° F
- Cook bacon until crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
- Pour the bacon grease into a glass measuring cup.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ground flax, wheat bran, and baking powder.
- Crumble the bacon, once cooled, and stir into the flour mixture.
- In a microwave safe bowl, warm the peanut butter. Approximately 30 seconds.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg. Then pour in the peanut butter, water, and bacon grease. Use a fork to whisk together the wet ingredients until completely combined.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour in the peanut butter mixture.
- Stir until combined.
- Knead lightly in the bowl with your hands.
- Lay down one large sheet of parchment paper, roll your dough onto it, then lay another piece of parchment on top. You’ll essentially have a dog treat dough sandwich. See the video for tips.
- Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut shapes out of the dough and place on your prepared baking sheet. Gather the extra dough, knead into a ball, and repeat the process of rolling and cutting until there is no more dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and leave them there to cool for 2 hours or overnight.
Storing – These homemade dog biscuits will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. They will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Yield – Using a 3 inch bone shaped cookie cutter, you will get 18 homemade dog biscuits.