Winter Squash Dog Muffin Recipe
Butternut squash was used for this recipe (because it’s wonderful ad delicious and oh so very versatile), but you can easily substitute acorn or spaghetti squash, to name just a few of the many available and healthy winter squashes.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F
- Whisk together the oats, flour, cinnamon and ginger.
- Peel the squash and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Place squash in a microwave safe bowl and add 1/8 cup of water.
- Microwave on high at one minute intervals until tender. After each minute, stir and test the softness of the squash.
- Once the squash is tender, drain the excess liquid.
- Place the squash, egg, oil and milk into a blender.
- Blend into a smooth puree, stirring when needed to keep the mixture moving.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the squash mixture.
- Stir together until combined.
- Spray a mini muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray with flour.
- Using a tablespoon sized cookie scooper, scoop generous amounts into each muffin cup.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and let the muffins cool.